Wednesday, April 11, 2012
I originally found this recipe via Pinterest. And of course, with a few co-workers who love Mountain Dew, I knew I had to make them. Mountain Dew cupcakes and buttercream? I had to do it. I have adapted the recipe from the site, All Things Cupcakes. I only made a couple small changes. I think they are more lemon/lime flavored than Mt. Dew, but they are flavorful, sweet and moist. And simple...
Here is the recipe:
Mountain Dew Cupcakes
1 cup (2 sticks) butter softened, not melted
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
3/4 cup Mountain Dew
1/4 cup of lemon and lime juice (juice from 1 lemon and 1 lime)
Zest from 1 lemon and 1 lime
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Beat butter on medium for 30 seconds.
2. Add sugar and lemon, lime zest. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs one at a time, Scrape sides of bowl in between additions
4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add to mixer bowl (set to low for this step_.
5. Add the Mountain Dew, lemon/lime juice, and lemon extract . Mix until combined.
5. Scoop into cupcake papers about two-thirds full. I use my large cookie scoop and it's always just the right amount, with this recipe, use a heaping scoop full.
6. Bake for 15-18 minutes until a cake tester (or toothpick) comes out clean.
Mountain Dew Buttercream
1 cup butter softened (not melted)
4-5 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons Mountain Dew
Juices from half of 1 lemon and half of 1 lime.
Zest from half a lemon, 1 lime
neon green food coloring (yellow and blue work if you don't have green)
1. Sift powdered sugar into a bowl or onto parchment (trick: use a whisk to sift it)
2. Beat butter at medium-high speed until creamy
3. On low, add half of the sugar.
4. Add the Mountain Dew, zest, and lemon extract . Beat until combined.
5. Add food coloring to the desired color.
6. Gradually add remaining sugar until you get to the consistency and sweetness you like. At this point, if it is too dry, be sure to add a little more Mt. Dew if you want.
I garnished some of mine with a little straw...just for a little something fun! Enjoy!